Metro Anti Protozoal is a very effective medication in aquarium and ornamental fish industry which is used to treat a vast variety and range of both internal and external protozoan infections and parasites (not worms) in discus and other tropical fish.
Sold as 2 x 200mg tablets and will complete:
- 2 x treatments of 100 Litres of water
- 4 x treatments of 50 Litres of water
- 8 x treastments of 25 Litres of water
eQuaria recommends you consider purchasing dopsing scales to assist in accurate preparation.
When it comes to discus fish, the Metro Anti Protozoal plays an important role in all quarantining new fish, prevention, and treatment processes.
The medication is mostly used to treat different kinds of flagellates and Internal protozoan parasites such as
- external protozoan infections like Spironucleus which causes hole in the head & head and lateral line disease
- Anaerobic bacterial infection
- digestive and intestinal disorders etc
BE AWARE : You will need to re-cycle your aquarium with beneficial bacteria following the completion of this treatment. eQuria recommends the use of Seachem Stability to re establish nitrifying bacteria.
This is a powerful medication that will kill both the parasites affecting your fish and the beneficial bacteria in your aquarium that run your nitrate cycle. If the affected fish is still eating food you get the best results using the feeding method below.
Alternatively if your fish is not accepting food, you can crush the medication into powder and dissolve into the aquarium water column.
Discus worming. Treat the tank with 200mg (1 tablet) per 100 Litres of tank water every two days as required with a 50% water change BEFORE each treatment.
Hexamita treatment (Hole in the Head):
This is best done by medicated feeding into a quarantine tank as it increases the effectiveness by delivery directly into the intestinal tract.
Feeding Method Recommendations on dose vary widely depending on who you speak with and what application you are using the medication for.
- Crush 1 tablet to powder using a mortar and pestle.
- Add an equivalent amount of Agar or unflavoured Gelatin to help bind the medication and stop water dissolution.
- Add a pinch of epsom salts to aid in the passing of dead parasite through the intestine
- Add 2ml of tank water
- Add 1 teaspoon of your normal food and mix well
Allow to stand for 30 minutes then feed. Store the remaining food in a fridge or freezer and feed this food only for 5 days – every second day – so day 1, day 3 and day 5.