The Females Siamese Betta is not as colourful as its male counterpart and has relatively small fins. These fish are not difficult to breed at home; females lay the eggs which are scooped up by the male and cared for in a floating bubble nest.
Siamese Bettas originate in warm water and should always be kept above 18ºC. (The ideal and recommended temperature is 25ºC) . In colder states such as Vic and Tas, they will require a heater during winter months.
Conditions in established home aquariums are usually quite suited for keeping these fish. Good animal husbandry is essential — ensure low population densities, plenty of hiding places, low bacteria levels and good water quality. In small tanks they will require frequent water changes and good water maintenance—we recommend a suitable water conditioner for your Betta.
Always take care that they are not restricted in their movements and are able to turn and swim freely.
HOW TO INTRODUCE YOUR NEW FISH
- Always quarantine your new fish to observe health and behaviour prior to introduction to your main aquarium.
- Make sure you check your water quality before adding new fish. Do a water change if required and check pH and GH.
- Sit the unopened bag in the top of the tank and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes for the temperature to equalise.
- Open the bag and pour fish and water into a bucket. Slowly add 1 cup of tank water into the bucket. Repeat this process every 5 minutes until you have doubled the water volume in the bucket.
- After another 5 minutes take your fish from the bucket with a clean fish net and release into your aquarium. DO NOT use the water from the bucket – throw this water away.
- A prophylactic treatment of the tank with Melafix, De Stress and or a broad spectrum anti biotic treatment, can help fish overcome the stress of getting relocated which often can bring illness.
Duty of care.
- Please be aware that all livestock images used are for example only as it is not possible to photograph and publish individual animals.
- eQuaria delivers live fish to local customers only within the Perth metro region.
- eQuaria recommends that all fish are quarantined for a period of 14 days in a separate aquarium prior to introduction to your main aquarium
- The duty of care for your fish passes to you on receipt.