This is a very easy fish to keep in an aquarium, they are peaceful and get along with most other fishes. They are easy to feed and seem like the perfect aquarium fish except for the tendency to jump out of the aquarium without a lid, especially when first put into the aquarium then during thunder storms. They have broad environmental tolerances with temperature range from about 10 deg C up to 35 deg C with pH ranging from 3.5 to 9. These are very difficult to produce in captivity. They spawn readily in the aquarium but the eggs are extremely small and require tiny first foods.
HOW TO INTRODUCE YOUR NEW FISH
- Always quarantine your new fish to observe health and behaviour prior to introduction to your main aquarium.
- Make sure you check your water quality in any aquarium before adding new fish. If it is not suitable then do a water change and check pH and GH. You can purchase an easy to use test kit to help you monitor these water parameters.
- Sit the unopened bag in the top of the tank and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes for the temperature to equalise.
- Open the bag and pour fish and water into a bucket. Slowly pour 1 cup of your tank water into the bucket. Repeat this process every 5 minutes until you have doubled the water volume in the bucket.
- After another 5 minutes take your fish from the bucket with a clean fish net and release into your aquarium. DO NOT use the water from the bucket – throw this water away.
- A prophylactic treatment of the tank with Melafix, De Stress and or a broad spectrum anti biotic treatment, can help fish overcome the stress of getting relocated which often can bring illness.
Duty of care.
- Please be aware that all livestock images used are for example only as it is not possible to photograph and publish individual animals.
- eQuaria delivers live fish to local customers only within the Perth metro region.
- eQuaria recommends that all fish are quarantined for a period of 14 days in a separate aquarium prior to introduction to your main aquarium
- The duty of care for your fish passes to you on receipt.