Platys will eat most aquarium fish food and also graze on any algae growing within the aquarium. They will benefit from a varied diet, and we recommend the addition of Aquarium Industries Frozen Tropical Mix to add much needed variety and nutrients. They can also be kept in ponds outdoors (in warmer climates, northern states only) to control mosquito levels and algae levels.
Platys are livebearers, meaning the female gives birth to fully formed, free swimming baby fish, about 30 days after fertilization. Sexes can easily be distinguished; the anal fin of the male is modified to form the Gonopodium (the male sex organ).
An easily cared for fish that does well in all types of community aquaria. Give them a fairly large tank with live plants and open swimming areas. Avoid too much driftwood, because as a rule livebearers do not like acidic water. Although not a schooling fish they benefit by being kept with a large number of their own kind.
HOW TO INTRODUCE YOUR NEW FISH
- Always quarantine your new fish to observe health and behaviour prior to introduction to your main aquarium.
- Make sure you check your water quality in any aquarium before adding new fish. If it is not suitable then do a water change and check pH and GH. You can purchase an easy to use test kit to help you monitor these water parameters.
- Sit the unopened bag in the top of the tank and leave it for 5 to 10 minutes for the temperature to equalise.
- Open the bag and pour fish and water into a bucket. Slowly pour 1 cup of your tank water into the bucket. Repeat this process every 5 minutes until you have doubled the water volume in the bucket.
- After another 5 minutes take your fish from the bucket with a clean fish net and release into your aquarium. DO NOT use the water from the bucket – throw this water away.
- A prophylactic treatment of the tank with Melafix, De Stress and or a broad spectrum anti biotic treatment, can help fish overcome the stress of getting relocated which often can bring illness.
Duty of care.
- Please be aware that all livestock images used are for example only as it is not possible to photograph and publish individual animals.
- eQuaria delivers live fish to local customers only within the Perth metro region.
- eQuaria recommends that all fish are quarantined for a period of 14 days in a separate aquarium prior to introduction to your main aquarium
- The duty of care for your fish passes to you on receipt.